Medical or Graduate Education:
Leiden University Faculty of Medicine, the Netherlands
Thomas Jefferson University Hospital - Neurology
National Institutes of Health - Parkinson Disease
- Botulinum toxin injections
- Corticobasal degeneration
- Deep brain stimulation
- Microelectrode recording
- Movement disorders
- Movement disorders surgery, patient assessment
- Multiple system atrophy
- Parkinson's disease
- Progressive supranuclear palsy
- Tourette syndrome
- Surgery for movement disorders
- Pharmacological studies of movement disorders
- Motor control and speech in Parkinson's disease
- Parkinson's disease
- Clinical trials in Parkinson's disease
- Clinical trials in dystonia
Below is a list of scientific publications for which this practitioner was either the primary author or a contributor. Citations come from PubMed, a database of biomedical literature, life science journals and online books. PubMed is a service of the US Library of Medicine at the National Institutes of Health. Click on the title of the cited work for more information (this will take you directly to PubMed.gov). Listings go back five years.
- Common and unique responses to dopamine agonist therapy and deep brain stimulation in Parkinson's disease: an H(2)(15)O PET study.
Bradberry TJ, Metman LV, Contreras-Vidal JL, van den Munckhof P, Hosey LA, Thompson JL, Schulz GM, Lenz F, Pahwa R, Lyons KE, Braun AR.
Brain Stimul. 2012
5(4):605-15. doi: 10.1016/j.brs.2011.09.002. Epub 2011 Oct 5.
- Effect of intraoperative subthalamic nucleus DBS on human single-unit activity in the ipsilateral and contralateral subthalamic nucleus.
Toleikis JR, Metman LV, Pilitsis JG, Barborica A, Toleikis SC, Bakay RA.
J Neurosurg. 2012
116(5):1134-43. doi: 10.3171/2011.12.JNS102176. Epub 2012 Feb 17.
- Intraoperative x-ray to measure distance between DBS leads: A reliability study.
Verhagen Metman L, Pilitsis JG, Stebbins GT, Bot M, Bakay RA.
Mov Disord. 2012
27(8):1056-9. doi: 10.1002/mds.25056. Epub 2012 Jun 12.
- Reply to Letter to the Editor H(2)(15)O PET responses to deep brain stimulation
Bradberry TJ, Metman LV, Contreras-Vidal JL, Schulz GM, Braun AR.
Brain Stimul. 2012
2012 Feb 22. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- An evaluation of hardware and surgical complications with deep brain stimulation based on diagnosis and lead location.
Falowski S, Ooi YC, Smith A, Verhargen Metman L, Bakay RA.
Stereotact Funct Neurosurg. 2012
90(3):173-80. doi: 10.1159/000338254. Epub 2012 Jun 5.
- Vocal responses to perturbations in voice auditory feedback in individuals with Parkinson's disease.
Liu H, Wang EQ, Metman LV, Larson CR.
PLoS One. 2012
7(3):e33629. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0033629. Epub 2012 Mar 20.
- Myoclonus and angiokeratomas in adult galactosialidosis
Abaroa L, Garretto NS, Arakaki T, Kauffman M, Moron DG, Figueredo AM, Szlago M, Metman LV
2011 Feb 10. doi: 10
- Juvenile levodopa-responsive Parkinsonism with early orobuccolingual dyskinesias and cognitive impairment
Espay AJ, Paviour DC, O'Sullivan JD, Schmidt RE, Revilla FJ, Metman LV
2010 Sep 15
- Effects of five years of chronic STN stimulation on muscle strength and movement speed.
Sturman MM, Vaillancourt DE, Metman LV, Bakay RA, Corcos DM.
Exp Brain Res. 2010
205(4):435-43. doi: 10.1007/s00221-010-2370-8. Epub 2010 Aug 10.
- Freezing of gait as late-onset side effect of cerebral radiotherapy
Diederich NJ, Zanini F, Untereiner M, Pilloy W, Kruger M, Metman LV
2010 May 15
- Gene delivery of AAV2-neurturin for Parkinson's disease: a double-blind, randomised, controlled trial.
Marks WJ Jr, Bartus RT, Siffert J, Davis CS, Lozano A, Boulis N, Vitek J, Stacy M, Turner D, Verhagen L, Bakay R, Watts R, Guthrie B, Jankovic J, Simpson R, Tagliati M, Alterman R, Stern M, Baltuch G, Starr PA, Larson PS, Ostrem JL, et al.
Lancet Neurol. 2010
9(12):1164-72. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(10)70254-4. Epub 2010 Oct 20.
- Stimulation-induced parkinsonism after posteroventral deep brain stimulation of the globus pallidus internus for craniocervical dystonia.
Zauber SE, Watson N, Comella CL, Bakay RA, Metman LV.
J Neurosurg. 2009
110(2):229-33. doi: 10.3171/2008.6.17621.
- Factors involved in long-term efficacy of deep brain stimulation of the thalamus for essential tremor.
Pilitsis JG, Metman LV, Toleikis JR, Hughes LE, Sani SB, Bakay RA.
J Neurosurg. 2008
109(4):640-6. doi: 10.3171/JNS/2008/109/10/0640.
- Safety and tolerability of intraputaminal delivery of CERE-120 (adeno-associated virus serotype 2-neurturin) to patients with idiopathic Parkinson's disease: an open-label, phase I trial.
Marks WJ Jr, Ostrem JL, Verhagen L, Starr PA, Larson PS, Bakay RA, Taylor R, Cahn-Weiner DA, Stoessl AJ, Olanow CW, Bartus RT.
Lancet Neurol. 2008
7(5):400-8. doi: 10.1016/S1474-4422(08)70065-6. Epub 2008 Apr 2.
- Deep brain stimulation for Parkinson's disease: prevalence of adverse events and need for standardized reporting
Videnovic A, Metman LV
2008 Feb 15
- Effect of short and long term STN stimulation periods on parkinsonian signs.
Sturman MM, Vaillancourt DE, Shapiro MB, Metman LV, Bakay RA, Corcos DM.
Mov Disord. 2008
2008 Apr 30
23(6):866-74. doi: 10.1002/mds.21979.
Patient feedback information is available for physicians employed by Rush University Medical Center who have received
30 or more patient surveys. Responses are measured on a scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being the best score.
Number of Patient Surveys
Friendliness/courtesy of the care provider
Explanations the care provider gave you about your problem or condition
Concern the care provider showed for your questions or worries
Likelihood of your recommending this care provider to others
Care provider's efforts to include you in decisions about your treatment
Information the care provider gave you about medications
Instructions the care provider gave you about follow-up care
Your confidence in this care provider
Degree to which care provider talked with you using words you could understand
Amount of time the care provider spent with you
For more information about patient feedback, see the Quality Care
section of the Rush University Medical Center website.